STI Foundation Integrated Competency trains and assesses the knowledge and competence of healthcare professionals in the management of contraception in Integrated GUM/CASH clinic settings. It is a streamlined, cost-effective training pathway designed for those working in services where they also require training in the management of symptomatic STIs:
- Specialist Sexual Health/Genito-Urinary Medicine nurses working in Level 3 Integrated GUM/CASH services who are working towards independent practice and providing contraception as part of their role. It may also be useful for Trust Grade and Specialty Doctors.
- Non-GUM clinical staff (doctors and nurses) working in Level 2 Integrated sexual health and contraceptive services based in General practice or alternative provider settings (e.g.third sector, private companies)
STI Foundation Integrated is NOT a standalone contraceptive qualification. Trainees predominantly interested in a contraceptive qualification should pursue the DFSRH pathway.
STI Foundation Integrated Competency can be undertaken at the same time as STI Foundation Intermediate Competency or can follow on from successful STI Foundation Intermediate qualification.
- Training is provided by Registered STI Foundation Competency Trainers.
Knowledge and skills required for STI Foundation Integrated Competency training
- STI Foundation theory course One, Two and Three (or equivalent)
- STI Foundation Integrated Competency training and assessment is an ‘add-on’ to STI Foundation Intermediate Competency so it is essential that you have either completed this or are doing this at the same time. It is not a ‘stand-alone’ programme.
- GUM clinical experience –at least 25 clinics in the last 12 months in a Level 3 GUM service or fully integrated SRH service seeing both all genders and managing them independently; at least 25% of the patients seen must be male.
- Designated e-Learning for Healthcare (eLfH) sessions in the e-SRH project.
STI Foundation Integrated Competency registration (following successful completion of Intermediate Competency)
Combined STI Foundation Intermediate and Integrated (contraceptive competencies) registration
STI Foundation Integrated E-learning
You do not need to be registered on the STI Foundation Integrated programme to undertake the e-learning. It is highly recommended that you complete 50% of the e-learning before commencing your training and assessments.
Time frame for completion of training
The STI Foundation Integrated Competency training pathway should be completed within 12 months of the date of the first assessment (unless extenuating circumstances). The Combined Intermediate+Integrated pathway to be completed within 18 months of the first assessment.
On successful completion of the training and assessment programme, a Certificate of STI Foundation Integrated Competency is awarded. The Certificate needs to be revalidated every five years. Link to the revalidation web page