Competencies and knowledge assessed
• Assessment and management of a woman including giving appropriate advice on safer sex, preventing STIs & unplanned pregnancy
• Assessment and management of a heterosexual man including giving appropriate advice on safer sex, preventing STIs
• Assessment and management of a man who has sex with other men (MSM) including giving appropriate advice on safer sex, preventing STIs
• Assessment and management of young people (under 18) including giving appropriate advice on safer sex, preventing STIs and assessment for indicators of exploitation/grooming
• Partner Notification: Conducting partner notification for relevant STIs and HIV including negotiating plan, PN resolution and completing a Provider Referral
• Risk Reduction including Safer Sex Advice, using MI skills in practice and the role of alcohol, recreational/club drugs in risk-taking behaviour
• Assessment of need for Post Exposure Prophylaxis following Sexual Exposure to prevent HIV acquisition and refer / manage appropriately
• Managing an appropriate HIV pre & post-test discussion, including giving results to a patient at "High Risk"
• Undertaking a consultation when the patient has limited English proficiency
• Undertaking a consultation by phone/video
• Undertaking a consultation with a Trans patient
Knowledge areas that will be assessed
• Assessment and management of people at higher risk who are especially vulnerable to STIs and other sex-related areas
• Psychological support in key areas such as sexual assault, health anxiety, a new HIV diagnosis and herpes simplex infection.
• Legal and Ethical Issues in clinical practice including partner notification issues, pregnancy choices, criminalisation of STI/HIV transmission and non-disclosure
• The Public Health role and responsibilities associated with working as a Sexual Health Adviser.
• The ability to conduct an audit of practice in an area relevant to health advising.